When people undergo surgery, the surgeons tell the patients to take care of certain things. Every patient should take these precautionary measures before, during and after the surgery. Atlanta breast surgeons and attendants that you choose for the procedure or surgery can give these instructions to you.
What is a Breast Lift?
Mastopexy is another name for the breast lift, in which the shape of the breasts is changed. The aim of the surgery is to keep the breasts upright. This does not increase the size of the breast; it just adjusts it in the correct position. Women undergo this process to make it straight if it is sagging down, as there are reasons for this situation.
Different Types of Breast Lifts:
Surgeons use various techniques to lift the breast and each serves a different purpose altogether. You need to be very careful in selecting the right one to have a breast lift. A certified surgeon should be able to perform the following types of breast lifts on you:
- Anchor Incision
- Lollipop Lift
- Donut Lift
- Crescent Lift
- Scare less Lift
- Vertical Lift
These types are fit to do surgery for any size of the breast. The age also does not matter; even women can have it after their pregnancy. It is safe for breastfeeding mothers as no change comes in the size of the nipples. Any good surgeon will tell you which type of lift will suit you and to find one is Crispin Plastic Surgery.
Pre Operation Safety Measures:
There are many things to consider before you have the surgery done. When you first visit your doctor, he will ask about your full medical history, past, and present. You need not to be shy and tell whatever he asks you. Then he will physically examine your breast and nipples to determine the type of breast lift is for you. It is very important for you to ask about any doubts, risks, and outcomes that you are expecting. The doctor will then give you instructions, which can be very helpful in the preoperative period.
- Discontinue any blood thinning medicine because it prevents the blood from clotting. Many herbal medicines can have the wrong effect after breast lifts so stop using them too.
- Avoid using diet pills and large amounts of vitamin E.
- Avoid smoking, drinking, and drugs as it dries the skin causing complications when the healing period begins.
- You can take a bath using germ- protection soaps if it does not irritate the skin.
- Report if you suffer from any type of flu, cold or fever. Remember to take medication only instructed by your surgeon.
- If it is possible to have an attendant present with you to take, you back home after the surgery and be with you during the first couple of days of the recovery.
- Do not eat or drink anything 12 hours prior to the surgery.
- You can take a shower on the morning of the surgery and brush your teeth.
- Avoid using makeup, deodorants, creams, lotions or body sprays as it may infect the skin.
- Wear comfortable clothes so that you can take them off and put them on easily without any exertion.
- Use sunglasses instead of contact lenses and do not wear any type of jewelry.
What Happens During the Breast Lift?
The techniques differ from one type to another. Each technique has its own way of putting incisions and the scars can leave marks. The surgeons can make incisions around the areolae, horizontally along the breast creases and extending downward form areolae to the nipples. The surgeon can use either a local or general anesthesia and lift the nipple higher by removing the access skin. Then stitch up the rest of the skin and use surgical tape or skin adhesives to patch it up. The patient can go home within a couple of days with proper post-operative instructions.
Take Care Of Yourself after the Surgery:
If you are not taking care of yourself after having the surgery then it can affect the whole period of recovery. It essential that you thoroughly follow the instructions given by the surgeon at all time.
- The first thing to do is to take lots of rest. Sleep in a comfortable position using 2 to 3 pillows up to 7 days to reduce the swelling.
- Restrict yourself to little or no activity that involves hyperactive activities. If you are traveling from another city then plan to stay there for a week, until you fit enough to travel again.
- You may experience bleeding from the wounds but it can stop through changing of the dressing, which can last for a few days.
- Take pain relief medications as prescribed by the doctor but you should avoid aspirin and other blood-thinning drugs.
- Be on the lookout for any signs of infection. If it appears immediately, go to the doctor for assistance.
By following these precautions, you can easily recover perfectly from any type of breast lift if you know where to find Atlanta breast surgeons.