The rise of instant on-demand culture has bought in changes in many things that were traditionally done differently. One such thing is the transaction that was mostly driven in the cash-based model. Nowadays even for retail or offline shopping you easily pay online. This has been made possible with the POS (Point of Sale) system. POS Financing is what you do when you swipe your credit or debit card as you make a purchase.
Point of sale financing which started with an e-commerce system where orders were placed quickly through pre-payment evolved itself to offline transactions. The POS system is now kind of a must-have for retail shops as the digital transaction space has expanded exponentially. However, the problem that comes is how to set up the system? Most of the retail shop owners are not that tech-friendly or aware and thus there is a need for guidance. As you are here searching for the same we are not going to disappoint you.
Before we discuss the setting up of the system it’s important to know exactly what it is. Basically, a POS system is a combination of software and hardware making it easy for transactions to happen quickly. Ok, don’t get pissed off we know that was a basic technical explanation and you are still to get it properly.
Take an example: You have a shoe shop a customer comes and buys a shoe. Now, he wants to pay through a card. The device on which he swipes the card is the POS machine (hardware), the recording of the payment and crediting to your end is what software is managing. Thus, as soon as the customer swipes the card enters the pin the entire process is completed. That is what we meant by hardware and software combo making quick transactions happen of course backed by the connectivity of the internet.
Setting Up Of POS
Having got a fair idea of the POS system it’s time we should look into the process of setting it up. Here, we would look at the step by step process or course of action that you should take to set up your POS:
- Search For Quality: The software of the POS is like a core driving almost most of the things. Further, the software should be such that it goes well with the hardware configuration of the device and system you have. Moreover, the software should be licensed and have good backing and creditability so that it is good against data leaks and intrusions. Spend some time in research read reviews and only then make a move.
- Connect Software And Hardware: Next-up is the combination part. Install the software that you have purchased and got on license on the system or systems at the desk where transactions would take place. Plugin the POS devices and follow the setup that the software is asking for to integrate with the device and enable functioning.
- Setting The Account: Log in to the software and set up your account. Upload business name, logo, pictures, etc, and other important details. Enter details like business registration number, Tax Identification number, etc on the software along with anything else that is asked for. Set up the user interface too so that the users who are making the payments can see the details clearly.
- Product Database: You have to set up the database of the product and services you are offering to the POS software. This is not to be done manually as it would be a cumbersome process. Most of the POS software allows you to enter the data via upload as a CSV file. Basically setting up of database would need details like SKU, retail price, supply price, product description, variants, etc. This would help you in creating the record of sales on a product-to-product basis as well.
- Set And Test: Once the above steps are done sync the systems and conduct the test payment to check. If there is any issue in configuring of the hardware and software it would get surfaced at this state and you would be able to resolve it before putting it to use for customers.
- Connect It All: Now as your POS system is set the time is now to integrate all payment modes with it. Say for example if you are having sales through an online website or web application then integrate the POS software with it.
Following what we discussed above the POS system would be easily set up and you can channelize the transaction for your business. Here if you feel that something is troubling you or there are places where you are stuck then there are POS system professionals who can offer you services. However, we would say that go for them when you feel that you have tried all in your knowledge and capacity.