Microsoft’s SC-900 exam is one of its most popular certifications alongside AZ 900. Microsoft Security, Compliance, and Identity Fundamentals, or SC-900, is perfect for people who want to understand the fundamentals of security, compliance, and identity in Microsoft services.
If you are preparing for the SC-900 exam and are confused about how to begin, we have the answer for you. In this blog, we have covered all that you need to know about the SC-900 exam and how to prepare for it. Read on to find more.
What is the SC-900 exam?
The SC-900 exam measures the ability to implement, monitor, and troubleshoot Azure security technologies. Candidates aspiring to take this exam must have a basic understanding of Microsoft Azure and Microsoft 365. From stakeholders to professionals and beginners, all will be benefited from taking this certification.
The exam tests your skills in four areas. These areas are as follows.
- Security, compliance, and identity
- Capabilities of Azure AD
- Capabilities of Microsoft security solutions
- Capabilities of Microsoft compliance solutions
Here are some other details of the exams.
Format: Case study, MCQs, drag and drop
Duration: 120 minutes
Number of questions: 40-60 questions
Passing score: The passing score for the exam is 700 out of 1000.
Who can take the exam?
SC-900 is suitable for beginners, experienced IT professionals, and stakeholders. Students willing to learn about Microsoft security, compliance, and identity solutions can also apply for the certification.
- Describe the concepts of security, compliance, and identity – 10–15%
- Security and compliance concepts
- Identity concepts
- Describe the capabilities of Microsoft Azure Active Directory (Azure AD) – 25–30%
- Basic identity services and identity types
- Authentication capabilities
- Access management capabilities
- Identity protection and governance capabilities of Azure AD
- Describe the capabilities of Microsoft Security solutions – 25–30%
- Basic security capabilities in Azure
- Security management capabilities of Azure
- Security capabilities of Microsoft Sentinel
- Threat protection with Microsoft 365 Defender
- Describe the capabilities of Microsoft compliance solutions – 25–30%
- Microsoft’s Service Trust Portal and privacy principles
- Compliance management capabilities of Microsoft Purview
- Microsoft Purview’s information protection and data lifecycle management capabilities
- Insider risk capabilities in Microsoft Purview
- Resource governance capabilities in Azure
Benefits of SC-900
Here are some of the benefits of passing the SC-900 exam.
- It validates your skills.
- It helps you stand out from other candidates.
- It can help you get better pay.
- It helps you gain recognition in the industry.
Preparing for the SC-900 exam
The key to cracking the SC-900 exam is to prepare extremely well. While SC-900 is only a foundational level exam, it can be challenging. Here are the resources you can use to prepare for the exam.
Taking SC-900 certification training is one of the best ways to prepare for the exam. Apart from going through the official training material provided by Microsoft, these courses have their study material, flashcards, interactive labs, etc. Many courses also offer practice tests to help you understand the exam environment and your preparation.
Reading books, ebooks, and study material is also crucial for exam preparation. You will find endless resources online. Go through the materials carefully before giving the exam.
Practice tests are a perfect way of testing your knowledge before sitting for the actual exam. By giving a practice exam, you can identify your areas of strength and weaknesses. This will help you revise the topics that require more attention and practice.
Microsoft Learn has the modules and learning path for all exams. Going through the learning path while preparing for the exam is imperative. The learning path is available free of cost. If you learn better with an instructor, you can also choose to take instructor-led training.
Tips to follow while preparing for the exam
- Consider making a timetable before beginning preparation. Go through the study guide to make the timetable.
- Use the video and written material provided by Microsoft to study for the exam.
- Take the instructor-led training from Microsoft. The training can help you get practical experience and understand the concepts better.
- Take Microsoft online courses to get an in-depth understanding of the syllabus.
- Do practice tests after you have completed your syllabus. This will help you understand your preparation.
Tips to follow during the exam
- Time management is crucial to giving a good exam. Analyze the questions carefully and determine how much time you can spend solving one question.
- Don’t panic, and stay calm during the exam.
- Attempt as many questions as you can since there is no negative marking.
- While attempting case studies, read the questions before reading the case study.
- While attempting MCQs, follow the eliminating options approach. If you do not know the correct option, start eliminating the incorrect ones.
Microsoft certifications are highly respected in the IT sector. SC-900 can help you enter the IT industry and gain the skills required to apply for different job roles. That is why it is famous among beginners. We hope this guide helps you prepare for the SC-900 exam.